Tenant FAQs

Q1. How can I find out what properties are available to rent?

Our listings of houses and apartments in Cork are viewable online via our websiteDaft and MyHome, which are updated regularly. You may also call into our office at 39 Washington Street or call us on 021-4278500 or 021-4274323.

Q2. How much will I require for a deposit? 

Typically, the deposit is the equivalent of one months rent. However, this is dependent on the landlord. The deposit will be returned at the end of residency unless a situation arises where the deposit cannot be given back i.e. there is damage to the property or the property is left in less than a respectable manner.

Q3. Will I need to provide references?

References are always required prior to tenancy. Generally, two references are required as proof of credibility. The references come from sources such as employer, previous landlord and bank statement from a financial institution.

Q4. How do I pay my rent?

Rent is paid monthly usually in advance by standing order from your bank on the first of every month. This is a worry-free way of ensuring you never fall behind in your rental payments. Be sure to tell us if your circumstances change, for instance you change banks or your employment situation changes as we can then help you to protect your tenancy. The last thing we want is for you to fall into arrears.

Q5. How soon after I find a place I like can I move in?

This is dependent on whether there are currently tenants in the process of moving out of the property or whether the property is available for immediate residency. Prior to moving into the property, references must be checked, deposits must be paid and usually one months rent must be paid in advance.

Q6. How do I go about transferring utility accounts into my name?

When you move into a property, the electricity and gas meters are read and documented. You then approach the utility provider with the readings and your details. A deposit may be required for the account, pending on the company and method of payment.

Q7. How long will my rental agreement be for?

A rental lease is typically for 12 months, however it is not uncommon to obtain a 6 month lease. Generally landlords are not willing to accept residency from any individual who wishes for a shorter tenancy period.

Q8. Can the landlord increase the rent at the end of the lease period?

Once the lease period ends, the landlord has the right to increase or decrease the rent for the property, pending on conditions and market trends. We try to negotiate in order to maintain satisfaction with both parties.

Q9. If I break my lease, do I forfeit only the deposit?

No, once a contract is signed, you are liable for the payment of rent for the duration on the term. A lease is a legally binding agreement.

Q10. Can my landlord ‘drop-in’ whenever he or she likes?

No. The landlord has to notify the tenant when he or she wishes to call. Minimum notice period required is 24 hours, unless it is an emergency.

Q11. Where can I get information on tenant rights?

The Threshold website is an information point which facilitates tenancy rights. Also, the PRTB is a tenancy board which aids tenants and landlords in complaints and rights.

Q12. Can I be evicted at any time?

No, the landlord must serve notice to quit in writing, with advance notice pending on how long you have been residing in the property. If you feel that you are being unjustly treated and are in a fixed term contract, you can seek legal advice regarding the pending eviction. If you are in breach of your contract (i.e. consistent non-payment or late payment of rent, damage to the property, causing annoyance to neighbours etc) the landlord has every right to seek eviction.

Q13. How much notice should I be given prior to eviction?

The notice which you are entitled to in relation to eviction is subject to the duration of tenancy.

Under 6 Months 28 Days
6 Months – 1 Year 35 Days
1 Year – 2 Years 42 Days
2 Years – 3 Years 56 Days
3 Years – 4 Years 84 Days
4 Years or More 112 Days

Q14. Who is responsible for repairs?

It is best to establish from the beginning of residency who is in charge of repairs i.e. the landlord, a property management company or the tenant pending on the issue. Do not let repairs go unresolved for any period of time; inform the responsible individual immediately.

Q15. What is a Managed Property?

Property management is normally undertaken by an agent. Features of this service include rent collection and being the point of contact for any maintenance requirement that the property requires.



For student accommodation, check out our sister company, Cork Student Lettings (Student Property Specialists)